St. John's is the oldest Lutheran church in Montreal, founded in 1853. Begun by German residents of Montreal and originally located near the St. Lawrence market, the present church was completed at the corner of Jeanne Mance and Prince Arthur Streets in 1907.
St. John's continues to provide ministry and focus to Christians and inquirers searching for community with God. On the occasion of its 150th Anniversary in 2003, St. John's became the first Lutheran congregation in Canada to be granted a Coat-of-Arms by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, through the Governor General.
While still active in the German milieu, St. John's increasingly receives new members from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Many denominational backgrounds are represented, but the goal for community is simple: faith and people. In the midst of a diverse city, a community gathers to pray and offer thanksgiving, to seek healing from the pain of sin, and to celebrate the love and mercy of God.
In our services, we use Evangelical Lutheran Worship at the English service and Evangelisches Gesangbuch (Lutheran Church of Bavaria edition) for the German services.
Every Sunday is a Eucharist. Festivals (e.g. Reformation, Epiphany, Pentecost) are often celebrated in one service, tri-lingual (French, German, and English).
St. John's is part of the larger Lutheran Church in Canada and internationally.
We are a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC), Eastern Synod. Please follow these links for information on our church affiliations. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada is a member church of the Lutheran World Federation.